Sunday, October 12, 2008

Crème Brûlée: Lighting Metal and Glass

Our latest assignment in Advanced Techniques is to light metal or glass in the studio. I was having trouble thinking of an idea at first, but with my love for food and desire to try something challenging - I decided on creme brulee. I had a good time making the custard and it was my first time cooking with a fresh vanilla bean. My parents mailed me the torch I needed to finish off the dessert, and overall I think it turned out well. I used two big soft boxes on either side of the table to outline the spoons nicely. The color of the custard compliments the brown of the table nicely, I think. Maybe I should have had a little more to garnish the dish, but this is the best I could do! Enjoy!

My favorite shot:

_MG_6340web

An outtake:

_MG_6344web

3 comments:

Unknown said...

These are beautiful! I'm so proud. You were right not to garnish the creme brulee. The beauty is in the caramelized sugar. A garnish is considered blasphemy to the French! For punishment, they take away your spoon and replace it with a fork. Try eating custard with a fork--it's TORTURE!!

Niki said...

wow! What a delicious photograph! These are beautiful and the spoon angles are wonderful! Keep up the wonderful work!

martha2 said...

I love these pics, Anjali. You are quite the photographer!