I have a passion for watermelon. So, I decided to write about it. This will run online for Vox.
Sliced, unadulterated watermelon is a perfect summer snack, but with a little time and care, it can be a great ingredient to a variety of light dishes. Paired with salty prosciutto or the kick of jalapeño, the sweetness of watermelon is pronounced. Try these three simple recipes if you’re looking for a way to liven up a summertime favorite:
Watermelon in Prosciutto
Prep time: 5 Minutes
Cut watermelon into 2-inch cubes or medium sized triangles and wrap with thin slices of prosciutto. If you have trouble keeping the prosciutto in place, use a toothpick to hold it in place until serving.
Watermelon and Ahi Tuna Ceviche: Serves 4
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
1½ lbs raw ahi tuna
¼ large watermelon
½ cup rice wine vinegar
1 bunch of green onion
1 bunch fresh cilantro
2 teaspoons salt
1 package of tostadas or tortilla chips
1. Dice watermelon and tuna fish into quarter-inch cubes.
2. In a large bowl, pour vinegar over the watermelon and tuna mixture. Toss the ingredients together until vinegar no longer pools at the bottom.
3. Thinly slice jalapeño and green onion and add it to the bowl.
4. Add salt and toss again.
5. Cover the bowl and place in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes to allow the flavors to blend. The fish will change from a bright red color to a whitish pink as the vinegar cooks it.
6. Garnish with cilantro and serve ceviche on top of tostadas or in a bowl with chips on the side.
Agua Fresca with Watermelon
Prep time: 10 minutes
6 cups of diced, seeded watermelon
6 cups cold water
1/3 cup fresh lime juice
1/3 cup sugar
Pinch of salt
Seltzer water and limes for garnish
1. Blend half of the water and diced watermelon in a blender or food processor, strain the mixture and discard of anything you can’t strain. Repeat the process with the other half.
2. In a pitcher, stir in sugar and lime juice.
3. Add a pinch of salt to bring out the sweetness.
4. Let the drink chill in the refrigerator.
5. When ready to serve, add a dash of seltzer water and garnish with a slice of lime.