Saturday, March 15, 2008

Headshots of Katie

My close friend Katie Hamlett is a Theater major at University of Missouri. I took some portraits of her for an acting class she is taking right now. The light was really pretty because it was overcast and about to rain. I don't think I will use portraiture very much in a career in photojournalism, but it is refreshing to have some say it what your subject is doing. 


 






 

After the semester ends this year, I'm going to India for 6 weeks to work on a photo essay and visit family. When I get back I'll have another 6 weeks to sit around Peoria, so I'm hoping I can find some sort of job shadow experience or an unpaid internship. My friend Adam Gerik works at the Peoria Journal Star as a photojournalist. I know how hard he works and the weird hours, so I think it'd be fun to see what goes on day-to-day at his job. 

I had my senior portraits done by Jeff and Julia Woods who are a very talented couple based out of Washington, Il. They shoot tons of wedding around the country (and also shot my sister's last April) but do portraiture mainly around central Illinois. I think it would be interesting to learn more about lighting and editing from them.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Before you worry about your summer employment, I want you to figure mine out.

Anonymous said...

Stalkbook... annoying, but this looked interesting.

So you started a blog. Focusing on pictures? Have fun.

Anonymous said...

The Journal Star is a bitch to get an internship at, I tried. Working with Jeff and Julia would be awesome though, and you would get to see that ridiculous picture face he makes a lot. He looks so focused...

EA said...

So pretty of katie!