Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Practice, Practice, Practice

I am so uncomfortable taking portraits of strangers!! AH! This week we had to two take two portraits - one of a couple in love or in an very close relationship and the other was to be a group portrait of 3-5 people related in some way.

First, I found some ballroom dancers and tried to make pictures of them. But, I gave up too quickly and felt like I was inconveniencing them and I scurried off.

anjali_pinto_portraits01


anjali_pinto_portraits02


anjali_pinto_portraits03

Then I went to social event for a group of Danish lesibans at a feminist cafe. They were so warm to me and I stayed for a few hours just chatting and making a few pictures.

anjali_pinto_portraits04

anjali_pinto_portraits05

anjali_pinto_portraits06

And there I met an incredible couple who has been together for 37 years. They've faced a lot of struggles together and have both survived breast cancer. Because of technicalities with the Danish government's pension program, they've been forced to move apart in order to afford their medicines. They still spend most of their days together - watching television, relaxing, taking care of their horse, or being in the garden. They have both dealt with their own amount of discrimination from their families, but many of the laws in Denmark have been progressive in respect to homosexual couples. They were so welcoming to me and spent a few hours just talking to them about their life together, and it was beautiful.

anjali_pinto_portraits07

anjali_pinto_portraits10

Then I photographed a few Danish middle-schoolers on a track team.

_MG_9873

2 comments:

katie said...

i like the second to last photo of the couple... also some of the dance shots are so close... i just feel like they're a tiny bit off... more depth of field, tighter crop, etc.

dusitn said...

the last one is my favorite. do you have any where the kid on the left doesnt look like he is about to start laughing though?