Thursday, April 14, 2011

Application for Phoot Camp 2011

I found out about Phoot Camp from Simon Biswas, who I met at Eddie Adams Workshop last year. Phoot Camp made my heart beat faster and the corners of my mouth stretch to a smile. It's a magical weekend where 30 creative minds convergence in some random location and everyone takes pictures all the time. Honestly, what could be better than that? I was so anxious when they finally announced applications were open because the only requirement is a self-portrait. I never take self portraits (unless it's into my bedroom mirror or a shiny window on the street). But, I REALLY want to go and I REALLY love a challenge. So, I'll share with you my submission. You should apply too! There are still 5 days until applications close.

AnjaliPintoPhootCamp

My first ever paid photo job was at Tru Restaurant in Chicago. The space is breathtakingly elegant and the food is the best that money can buy in the city. I was sent to capture the spirit of the restaurant, intimidated but thrilled to have the opportunity. On that shoot, I photographed the Donald Judd sculpture that is hanging above my head in this photo. I went back to that same location to make a self portrait because it is where I began to realize that I was talented.

Since that first job, I've graduated from the University of Missouri with a degree in photojournalism, studied at the Danish School of Media, worked on projects in India and Italy, attended Eddie Adams Workshop and was recognized by Hearst Journalism Awards Program. Through all of these experiences, I've developed a fresh, colorful and sincere style that I apply to documentary photography, food photography, portraiture and photojournalism.

I would be honored to attend Phoot Camp because one of the most fulfilling parts of being a photographer is the rich friendships I've made through the craft. I can only imagine that Phoot Camp would be an opportunity to challenge myself to make better pictures and be exposed to amazing photographers that I will be able to share ideas with in the future.

3 comments:

erin*carly said...

Love it! Good luck. I found out about it from a random clicking frenzy (one link lead to another, which lead to another, and ended up at the website of the Phoot Camp founder) and thought it sounded SO fantastic. I can't this year, but maybe next year I'll apply.

BRIAN H. said...

I love this picture.

mike@m2studios.com said...

Lovely portrait. Congrats on getting accepted to Phootcamp 2011!