Saturday, June 20, 2009

Thunderstorm and Microbursts in Andersonville, Chicago

thunderstorm_0619_0017

This tree was effected by microbursts, a type of high speed wind that is similar to tornado. It was uprooted and caused damage to the sidewalks and destroyed a car.


thunderstorm_0619_0021


The wheels of the car were off the ground from the crushing weight of the tree.

thunderstorm_0619_0040

Neighbors gathered to watch the city crew clean up the tree.

thunderstorm_0619_0072

A garage in the alley behind my sister's house was completely crushed by a tree.

thunderstorm_0619_0063

This branch was projected from a nearby tree and seemed to grasp on to the patio of a home on Foster in Andersonville.

thunderstorm_0619_0012

Directly outside my sister's house. I feel lucky that my car was half a block away!

3 comments:

Zack said...

That shot of the branch and the porch is crazy!

Taylor said...

I recently watched The Happening (unfortunately), and that is all I can think of when I look at these.

Agreed that the porch photo is insane. My favorite!

Anonymous said...

I really like the first photo. It's a great scene-setter.