Thursday, February 07, 2008

Breaking the Ice


















All of the older photojournalism students laugh at the youngins when we say we're working on the Breaking the Ice assignment for Fundamentals of Photojournalism. I think this project is a right of passage into the program- everyone secretly hates it, but we are too nervous to doubt it. I remember seeing the prints of last year's class up on the wall of Lee Hills Hall when I came on a school visit. I thought this type of assignment would be so easy. Turns out, it was a pretty big challenge for me to get out there and talk to strangers. 


I constantly felt like I was burdening people - interrupting their lunch or study time. When I faced my fears and got down to work, people were more than cooperative. Only one woman told me she preferred not to be photographed. She was tiny, maybe only 4'6'' and had a fuzzy winter hat on. She was hunched over and walking super fast through campus. I caught up with her and was so excited to find such an interesting face, but she was in a hurry and didn't have time for my shenanigans. 


Out of the ten photos I'm turning in, I'm proud of the majority. I think that the photos show my potential and are for the most part properly exposed, have good composition, and show interesting subjects. 


No comments: